"Cheese Krispies I"

Bay Leaves has a section called "Tea Time," which consists of many different kinds of cookies and other small bites. I imagine a group sipping their tea, discussing art, surrounded by delicate tea cakes in pretty pastels. It all sounds very elegant until you flip through the pages and realize how many of the recipes include the word balls. The recipe I chose this time doesn't sound particularly classy, but in my opinion, modesty and tastiness often go together.

The Recipe:

This was the first of two Bay Leaves recipes for Cheese Krispies. The second recipe yielded 8 dozen krispies which uh, is a crap ton. I used the smaller recipe, halved, in case they were inedible. At first I visualized a standard rice krispies treat, but with flecks of cheese throughout, until I realized by looking at the ingredients that this probably wasn't going to be sweet. It looked quick and seemed like something Tim would like (really, I'm doing all this for Tim, because he just loves eating all this weird shit so much).

The Players:

Does anyone even buy Rice Krispies just to eat like cereal? My memories of eating it in a bowl with milk include dumping like a pound of sugar on it to make it good. When it comes to texture, they are very unique, but let's face it, flavor-wise, they are pretty darn meh. They seem to do best slathered in marshmallow, or chocolate, or both. As part of my important research for this project, I read the Wikipedia page for Rice Krispies, and learned that the onomatopoeic "Snap! Crackle! Pop!" motto varies by country. In Sweden, Piff! Paff! Puff! describes the sound, and in Germany they say Knisper! Knasper! Knusper!

Now that I was fully educated on the history and worldwide appeal of Rice Krispies, I felt prepared to cook with them.

I mixed the dough by hand which worked pretty well. It was very similar to the dough used in the Cheese and Olive Nuggets we made a few weeks ago. It's a good dough to make in a pinch with a few staple ingredients. These were so fast and easy to make, they were done in less time than it took to put the toddler to bed. In fact, I was a little disappointed by how fast they were done because this was our fun friday night activity... that's how cool and social we are. Tim arrived to find them ready to eat. OH TIM?

YEAH REAL PROFESSIONAL, TIMOTHY. So apparently first-take videos of Tim sometimes turn into giggle-fests. Tim's review wasn't exactly a careful deliberation, but we did learn that Cheese Krispies I are "pretty good." Perhaps so good that they imbue those who consume them with so much joy they cannot contain their laughter!? Or maybe they're just dry. I should have known when I heard no Knisper! Knasper! Knusper!

I mean, they were a bit floury, and the ratios could be tweaked, but I thought they tasted good. The Rice Krispies definitely add their unique texture, so that makes them pretty fun to eat. I might make them smaller, maybe serve them with a jam to offset the dryness a bit. The would be great for a party, or a fancy tea time with a plethora of balls.

1 comment: