"Cheese and Olive Nuggets"

With all the greenish and congealy memories flooding back, I spent the last few days revisiting Bay Leaves and considering more of its mysterious recipes. Well I went a little crazy and tabbed many, many recipes I would like to attempt. There are some doo-hoo-hoo-zies in there. I was anxious to do one soon, so I picked one for which I already had all the ingredients (a rare find).

The Recipe:

The name is not very appetizing, but I suppose it is meant to be straightforward. To me, it just seemed like it would not work at all. I imagined a pile of greasy cheese melted around a nude olive. The combination of green olive and cheddar? questionable. But, it sounded easy, and I didn't have to buy anything, so what the hell. It took me mere moments to collect all the ingredients, including my adorable salty elephant.

The Players:

The first step, nailed it! ...my cheese was already grated. I kinda eyeballed the quantity. I tossed everything else in there and mixed it up *clicks toungue* really nice. I got a little excited at this point because the dough was turning out to be basically cheezit dough.

I rinsed and dried off the olives before wrappin' em up, and I only used 18 olives before the dough was gone. It was pretty easy to work with dough, which was appreciated. I hate it when flour is all over everything when making dough. This stuff was a lot like play-doh and the recipe would be great for kid participation. Wren tried to participate but she mainly just wanted to eat every olive in sight.

I chilled them in the freezer while we waited for the oven to pre-heat. These little guys smelled fantastic as they baked. They came out looking pretty great too.

Time for a Timothy taste test (with original score by toddler face):

Ok, so the combination of cheddar and green olive is still pretty weird. But this recipe is on to something. Tim and I tried to think of other things you could put inside that might meld a little better in flavor. I thought maybe a jalapeno, or just a plain old cheese ball. Maybe extra shredded cheese inside. Tim had a good idea too of putting a sun dried tomato inside. Considering how easy this was, we may just try one of those.

Between the three of us, ALL of these were gone in literally less than 8 minutes. We spoiled our dinner. Bay Leaves, you've intrigued us. Tim is a lot less reluctant to take this adventure than he was after the green congealed salad, so I guess you're doing pretty well.

1 comment: