"Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake"

Mmmm, mayonnaise. It's creamy, salty, tangy, and satisfying. I like it on sandwiches, dips, salads, oh and dessert, DUH. Who wouldn't want mayonnaise ice cream, mayonnaise pie, and of course, mayonnaise cake? This is why I chose the super appetizing sounding Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake from the Bay Leaves cookbook.

The Recipe:

Ok, so in all seriousness, I get it. In a pinch, you could use mayonnaise to replace eggs and oil for a cake recipe. But that seems like something you wouldn't want to tell anyone, let alone publish in a cookbook. I don't know, whatever, I guess we're making this fella.

The Players:

I think this recipe was made to be quick and easy, because it really was pretty simple to put together. Like, Crap, I told Susan I would bring a chocolate cake to her dog's baby shower in an hour, and I forgot to go shopping. Whatever, chocolate might be toxic to the dogs but those dummies will never know that I used mayonnaise. Sometimes I can be such a genius...

Much like I've done with other Bay Leaves recipes, I made a smaller batch than the recipe suggested. I made a single layer cake, because last time I made a dual layer cake, we just had a whole lot of cake to eat. It immediately made us think of Sandra Lee's Single Layer Cake, which falls into the "WTF HOW DRUNK ARE YOU RIGHT NOW, SANDRA?" category. Oh, Sandra Lee. Our cake baked up perfectly well, and came out of the oven looking very nice.

The recipe said I could add chocolate icing, if desired. I mixed up some cocoa, powdered sugar, and whipped cream to make an icing that was not very cooperative as far as spreading, but very delicious, it tasted like rich chocolate pudding. It was pretty liquidy, so I just kinda poured it over and covered the edges the best I could. Tim had been hanging out in the kitchen, waiting for this one to be ready, so he was promptly ready for his taste test.

So, after the initial video review, Tim and I both tasted the cake and discussed it. His review went from "pretty good" to "not that good" rather swiftly. There was just a funky taste in there, the taste you get when vinegar gets hot. I do like desserts that are more mild in sweetness, but there was just too much tangy saltiness in there. My improvised icing was momentarily making it taste more alluring, but as a chocolatey baked good which just kinda sat around untouched for a few days, it probably wasn't anything worth making again.

So I guess it's official, cutting corners does not work out with desserts. Another dang reason that baking is the worst. Until next time, Bay Leaves!

1 comment: